Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pen Pals

I received such a nice email today from a woman I used to tutor in Málaga. She asked me how my adjustment to New York was going, what the weather is like (always a popular question), if I have found a new job yet and if I have any exciting trips coming up. She ended the email by saying that she is so nervous she will not be able to find another English tutor as good as me come September.

It was so nice to hear from her and that I was able to help her so much with English. I am excited to stay in touch with the people that I spent an entire year getting to know and working with. Many people know this about me, but I rarely lose touch with someone. This past year when I was in Spain I had 6 dinners with Mercedes (the woman I lived with while studying in Madrid) and met up with several other friends that I had met two years before during my studies. Thanks to technology and the various ways we can communicate (email, skype, bbm, facebook, blog etc) you can stay in touch with everyone you meet! It is great for when you want to go back and visit a city or for when someone wants to come visit you! Some friends have told me they feel "strange" or "awkward" reaching out to someone they haven't spoken in a while but from my experience people are always very happy and excited to reconnect.

1 comment: