Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's my goodbye and I'll cry if I want to

Its been a rough few days, yesterday in particular. Monday was my last day of work and I said goodbye to the rest of my students. Our goodbye was similar to our "hello" when we first met. In 3rd, 4th and 5th level they all asked for my John Hancock- "FIRMAME!!" I wrote them each a little note saying how much I enjoyed teaching them and good luck in the future, but all they were concerned with was my signature. So whether they still think I am BFF with Hannah Montana or that one day I will actually be famous myself, it was a sweet way to end the year.

Yesterday we had our goodbye lunch with the teachers. We ate at an outdoor restaurant in Torre del Mar called, "Las Americas." We had a typical Spanish lunch, plates of olives followed by shrimp, clams and anchivoes to start and then a massive pan of paella. I managed to have a pitcher of beer and some after meal shots which might have contributed to my emotional breakdown when it actually came time to say goodbye. The teachers gave the other auxiliar and I each a card that had been signed by all the teachers in the school and a beautiful wooden, hand painted fan. So Spanish. Love it. They taught me how to open it like a proper Andaluz. Super sexy. Can't wait to show it off at home.

After 3.5hrs, it was time to say goodbye. We all stood up and I just started balling. I didn't realize how much I would miss the teachers I worked with this year. We have become so close and I will miss seeing their smiling faces every day and sharing stories. I was pretty embarrassed, I couldn't even form sentences because I was choking back the tears. I think it just all of a sudden felt so real that I would be leaving the next day. Which is now today. My room is packed, my suitcases are extremely overweight and my flight gets in at 4pm to JFK. I had planned to write a really thoughtful conclusion and reflection on this year, but I have been so busy and nervous and anxious the past few days that I haven't thought of anything profound to say. See you in the states...

Above: Me in 3rd grade
Above: Me and Choni, the Music and English teacher, at lunch
Above: Me and Elo, the third grade Science and English teacher, at lunch
Above: the whole group
Above: traditional paella lunch

Above: My demise ?

No comments:

Post a Comment