Sunday, June 13, 2010

Leave it in Europe

Last night I had dinner with my cousin Alegra and her friend Gioia. I've always gotten along great with Alegra, she is very euro, Turkish father, grew up in London, loves to travel and appreciates everything european just like me. It had been about 6 years so we had a lot to catch up on, so why not have the big reunion at the mecca for europeans in New York: Ciprianis. I had been to the upstairs part of the downtown location a few times, but never for a "bite" to eat. It was obviously very expensive, but the food was great and the people watching even better. My big problem with going to euro venues like this in New York is that it's just not the same as the real thing...like yeah it's fun to be around cultured, older, wealthy suitors, hear different languages and people watch like crazy, but the european scene in New York is just so... eurotrash. I just can't take a lot of the people here seriously.

For example, I walked by the Nikki Beach in midtown Thursday night and accosted the bouncer. I was like, I LOVE NIKKI BEACH YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. But honestly how could this location even compare to the other ones when there is no beach! You can't create the same ambience without the sun, sand and sea. There is just something about bringing the great things about Europe to New York that just doesn't work for me. Maybe I will change my mind as I start to go to new places, but right now my feeling is, if I'm going to have a euro night, I wanna do it in Europe.

That being said, I'm very excited to hang out with Alegra, who is an international fashion consultant, and knows all the good people and spots in NYC, before she goes to Europe for the whole summer. Ugh, authentic euro life. Those were the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment