Saturday, September 5, 2009

An Offshore Account

Not many people know this about me, but I have had a hand written diary since I was 9 years old. When I am not living my super busy and fun life and I actually have some time to sit around and get bored in my room, I go through my old diaries to see what I used to think about when I was younger. It’s so interesting looking back at how I used to write and the thoughts that preoccupied my amateur mind. So when I knew I was going on this voyage across the Atlantic I thought what better way to record and share everything that I encounter than today’s modern day diary: a blog.

“An Offshore Account” will document my year in Malaga, Spain as a Teacher of English as a Foreign Language. I will focus on the transition from college to the real world, cultural differences abroad, living as a foreigner and my experiences teaching. However, in order to receive the juicy and always well told stories from my personal life you can contact me via email/facebook/twitter/bbm/skype or phone. One of those should work.

I will be leaving New York September 22 and arriving in Sevilla for a five day orientation. During orientation we will learn what to expect as a teacher and foreigner, how to get adjusted, open a bank account, buy a phone, understand the Andalucian accent and many other crucial matters. Then I will go to Malaga where I am respsonsible for finding my own apartment on a website equivalent to "craigslist." October 1st will be the first day of class. My school is located in Torre del Mar which is a small beach town about 45 minutes East of Malaga.

I came about this lovely life plan when my advisor at Vanderbilt sent me a link to a program called CIEE Teach in Spain. CIEE acts as the middleman between myself and the employer, La Junta de Andalucia. While I was not sure if I wanted to move to Spain for a year or move home and find a job I applied to the program to keep my options open. Considering that my major in college was Spanish and European History and it has been my life dream to live in Spain, especially after my semester abroad in Madrid, after I was accepted I could not allow myself to pass up this incredible opportunity.

I am so excited that three of my very good friends from Vanderbilt, Clay, Greg, and Emily will also be teaching in Malaga. It should be a really great time... so start figuring out your vacation days because you are all encouraged to crash on my couch and get tan.

¡Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment