Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Is he gay?... or European....

This has been a serious debate since spring 2008 when I lived in Madrid for a semester. I often found myself asking this question when I was out and observing the dress/habits/mannerisms of men on the street or in clubs. I have nothing against gay men, they actually make very good friends, but due to stereotypes ingrained in my brain it is honestly very hard for me (and I know this applies to my friends as well) to think that a guy wearing nice shoes, skinny jeans, a messenger bag and slicked back hair is NOT attracted to other men... eeek! Ever since Franco died in 1975, and with him a 30yr dictatorship, Spain has completely redefined the role of men and women in society. Spain became a part of the EU in 1986 and in 2005 gay marriage became legal. This was unthinkable under Franco. I know a lot about this topic because I wrote my senior thesis on the evolving role of women in Spanish society from The Second Republic until modern day. Now there is a really hip fun area in Madrid called Chueca, coincidentally the "gay neighborhood," that we used to hang out in all the time because of the good restaurants, bars and shops.

Anyway, I brought this up because it is a question that I toss around in my head every time I pass by a guy on the street who fits this description, basically because I am just so curious! Are European girls attracted to guys who exude a feminine, metrosexual aura? Apparently so, and apparently we will never see eye to eye. Here is a picture from a club we went to in Sevilla. It is hard for me to believe that this guy swimming around in a fish tank at a club, wearing blue tights and a rainbow speedo has a girlfriend...but I guess I need be more open minded to opinions and tastes that are different from mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment