Thursday, September 24, 2009

Toddlers on Planes

I can't really think of a creative title for this post because this is really it point in case: toddlers on planes, what are your thoughts and feelings? I had personally never given much thought to the subject until after my flight with two wailing monsters.

Everything was going great. I sat in aisle 11 (my favorite number), next to a cute Spanish woman, had a window seat and a good view of the movie screen. I read through US Weekly, Cosmo ( very good this month, both how quirky yet very good looking is Megan Fox?) and took 2 nyquil and was looking forward to a couple hours of good rest. I am not sure how long I was out for, but suddenly I heard it. It was loud, not piercing, but a dull loud WAIL. Kind of like: waaaa........waaaaaaaaa.........WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Not only was there a crying 2yr old boy in my row across the aisle, but there was ANOTHER hysterical girl behind him. It was almost like a symphony. The boy would start and then the girl would come in louder and whinier and eventually they would be in unison. Not only did the parents not apologize ( i.e. write a HUGE sign on poster board apologizing for ruining the chance of anyone in rows 10-30 from getting sleep and hold it up for everyone to see), but the girls dad also thought it was a good idea to pat her back while she was crying thereby transforming the wail into a howling echo. Good work dad. All I could think about was how ungrateful these toddlers probably were for their extravagant trip across the Atlantic and that they will probably never remember visiting NY, but I will never forget how annoying and deafening they were. Basically only two words can sum up this experience. Two words my friends and I use to describe less than enjoyable life experiences: "so miz."

However, the Spanish woman sitting next to me did not flinch. Every time one of the toddlers would start to vocalize I would purposefully turn my head towards them and move around to see which one it was hoping the parents would notice my disgust and somehow silence them. My Spanish neighbor, who was on the aisle and therefore in closer proximity to the creatures did not show any signs of repulsion. She actually raising her finger and kind of wiggled it in a playful manner towards the boy. How was she not so turned off and fed up with these bratty pests?

Notes to self:
1. Be more patient and composed like the Spanish
2. Don't raise bratty annoying kids
3. If 2 doesn't work out, hire a babysitter and go on vacation alone with husband

2 comments:

  1. Yikes, I dread flying with crying babies, but alas your solutions are exactly the right response!
    Composed and patient are great virtues to get you through a lot of unpleasant social experiences. Very funny again, and observant!

    ReplyDelete