Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I no speak English

Recently I figured out the reason why learning a second language can be so difficult. You forget how to use your first. My American friends and I can barely communicate anymore in English. Our Spanish is not perfect which is acceptable because it's our second language, but our English has just become outright embarassing. We make horrible grammatical mistakes and it seems we all have that learning disability when you say a word or phrase that is totally NOT what you meant, but it has a similar meaning or sound to it so it somehow came out by accident...? I feel like there is a little man in my brain with a giant green GO sign and a giant red STOP sign controlling the traffic of languages into and out of my brain. Currently he is "greening" all of the Spanish vocabulary and grammar. He is not only holding up the "STOP" sign to my English vocabulary and grammar, but he is sometimes deporting them entirely!

No comments:

Post a Comment