Sunday, November 1, 2009

November, is it really you?

I don't think I have a favorite season...Obviously everyone loves summer because that means warm weather, tans, weekend getaways and for those of you still in school, an internship or summer program that you have spent your entire year carefully crafting so that it is secretly more fun than work, but will also make you look like an all-star on your resume.

Winter is probably the least popular. The shorts, skirts, dresses, white pants, and open-toed shoes have already made their way to the back of the closet and unless you really know your way around the sunless tanner aisle at Duane Reade you are pale...the worst. But being able to sport fur and go ice skating does have its redeeming qualities.

Spring is exciting because the snow starts to melt, the leaves and flowers come out again and you know its almost summer time. The rain however seems endless and you are constantly debating if it's better to ruin your heels so at least your legs still look skinny or just forget it and wear flats that will not only get your feet soaked, but will also ruin your chance of getting hit on.

However I personally am a really big fan of fall. Some people think fall is depressing because it is the end of summer (why does everything have to revolve around summer?) and means it's time to go "back to the grind." But I think although it is not technically the start of a new year , it is definitely the time to turn over some new leaves (no pun intended). You vow to start going to the gym again since summer really did you in this time, read more, work harder, and over all improve yourself. At least this is what I find myself doing every fall. The weather is starting to change so instead of panting up the subway stairs swearing, "I..will...never...ride...this sardinepackedhomelesspersoninfestedACbrokencontraption ever again to a date..." you are wearing your fall layers and are cool, calm and collected.

For so many reasons I cannot BELIEVE it is November. First and foremost the weather here is not what I am used to for this month. Every day it starts out pretty chilly, but by noon it is definitely time to pack your towel and head to the beach. As I have said before, my white pants are far from retired and my tan is only getting better as the days go on. I am by no means complaining, but is it going to be beach weather all year round?? November, I don't recognize you! For the past four years November has meant watching the leaves change color on Vanderbilt's campus (a national arboritum), coordinating which pashmina, pair of boots, dress and jacket looks best to the football tailgate and dying for midterms to be over so I could go home for a week to celebrate Thanksgiving with friends and family.

Even though the leaves here are not changing color I have kept true to myself and decided to turn over several "new leaves": consistent working out, intercambios, perfecting Spanish and learning French, just to name a few. I have been able to sport my leather jacket a few times even though I find myself perspiring if I wear it before 6pm. Weather aside, it is amazing to me that I have been here for a month and a half. Everything has gone by so fast, but at the same time I feel like I know Málaga like the back of my hand...Either way I feel very adjusted, but also so grateful and excited that I am here for longer than the equivalent of one semester so I really have time to perfect my skills and accomplish my goals.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading this!
    I too like early Autumn..my only leaf-peeking this year was from the descending plane coming back from Madrid over long island.
    Boots and a sweater can always make you look good.

    ReplyDelete