Monday, October 5, 2009

Commuting


I think it's fair to say that the thought of commuting doesn't excite most people. I have had to commute to school/work for most of my life. I grew up on the Upper West Side and took the bus crosstown 86th street to the Upper East Side every day to school and back. It was usually 30 minutes. My dad moved downtown to Murrary Hill when I was 11 so I learned to take the #1 train and then the shuttle to grand central. So while some of my friends still don't know the names of the avenues on the west side I was easily navigating uptown, midtown, and union square by age 12. I went to college in Nashville, so I didn't commute but home was definitely not close by. Summer internships were in midtown so that was a hot underground treck back and forth every day. When I found out I was going to be teaching in Torre Del Mar, a small beach East of Málaga my first question was, "how far is the commute from Málaga?" The commute is generally 45-55minutes there and possibly (but that means never) 25minutes on the way back if you get a direct bus. Some of my friends who were placed to teach in Torre del Mar or Velez-Malaga (near Torre) thought "no way do I want to make an hour commute" and they now live in Torre. Even though I may regret saying this later, so far I love my commute. I have always liked taking buses even though some people I know swear that they will never use one. I think it is a great way to get to know your surroundings. It is also a good time for self-reflection, reading, writing, and since my commute is along the Mediterranean there is really nothing to complain about. The picture above I took this morning of the sunrise (don't mind the random man that made it into the pic).

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how pretty- becoming an early bird, si?
    Do you use a bus type metro card?

    ReplyDelete