Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Problem Solving


I have already shared the popular saying "so miz" on my blog, but last night can be described by another favorite phrase, particularly that of my friend Clay: "rock bottom." "Rock bottom" is used amongst my friends and I when you are pretty positive nothing else in your life could go wrong. You have reached the worse point (of the hour/day/week/month). "Rock bottom" can be used as a noun or adjective. Here is the "rock bottom" list of things that were wrong with my apartment by 10pm last night:

1. I have been eating out for every meal because there is no room in the fridge for me to put groceries
2. My closet and chair have been broken since I moved in so I have been living out of a suitcase for over a week
3. My i-pod will not upload new songs from i-tunes or charge for that matter or upgrade to the newest version of i-tunes so I cannot download any tv shows
4. I cannot find a fan in all of Málaga so it is very hard to go to sleep
5. There is a mysterious leak coming from the toilet area in bathroom two
6. The shower-head in bathroom 2 broke so we can no longer use that to shower
7. I finally decided to buy pasta and keep it on a shelf since there was room there and after I cooked I realized there was no hot water in the kitchen to wash any of the silverware and plates (they have been using cold water)
8. Bathroom 1 is next to the kitchen and therefore does not have hot water either

I sent an email to my friend Vitor, who works as an intern in the EPS agency, about all of these issues. Here is the copy of an email I got midday from him:

Hey, I spoke to my boss and the bathroom that has hot water has an electric shower - the other bathroom has a gas powered one, and I guess the kitchen sink is powered by gas too. You'll need to get the gas canister replaced before you can have the hot water.... I wouldn't recommend lighting a flame near the gas though haha.

Also they said that the electric shower will break if it is used by too many people every day because the motor is pretty small... so one of you guys needs to come down here to talk about that.

The number to call for gas is, 952306339, they normally bring it the next day, but one of you would need to be there to take the gas and pay for it.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything...

At 8pm right now here are the solutions I have found to the following issues:

1. There is now room for my groceries in the fridge and I am going to eat pasta with vegetables tonight!
2. I decided to take initiative and buy a free standing closet at Corte Ingles ( it was 50% off! they must have known I was having a rough week) so I can finally unpack and feel comfortable here. Also EPS says I can buy myself a new chair and they will pay me back for it!
3. Emily lent me her apple adaptor ( I had been using a regular one). I got it to charge if I plugged the i-pod directly into the outlet but not when I tried to plug it into my computer to get my new songs. I decided to try plugging my computer directly into the wall instead of into an extension cord and then plug my i-pod in and now I am able to upload my new music and charge it! Sounds kind of strange, but it works.
4. I went into a "chino" shop ( they are the little Chinese stores all over the city that sell literally everyhting you could possibly need) in Torre del Mar and bought their last fan! It makes noise when I turn it out but better than nothing.
5. My roommate Lee realized the leak is coming from this area that is connected to the shower and it probably needs to be drained somehow....
6. After going to the EPS office today to talk to them about all the problems the director agreed to call someone to come Thursday to fix the broken shower-head.
7. The director also told me that I might need to call to have the gas canister replaced to make the hot water work in the kitchen and bathroom 1, but the people who live downstairs (Emily's roommates) have been here for a while and since I know we have a gas canister I am going to ask them to help me figure out how to make it work.
8. I took a cold shower last night and will do it again tonight. I kind of feel like I am camping but I know we will have hot water soon!

1 comment:

  1. boy, you are sure testing out your resourcefulness skills.. Good job and doing it all in another language..egad!

    ReplyDelete