Monday, May 3, 2010

La tasa de paro

The rate of unemployment is up to 20% in Spain and everyone is talking about it. And rightfully so, Spain is in deep mierda. The Barcelona cab drivers were very talkative and in every cab I took (all 3) the drivers and I engaged in a serious conversation about the economy and politics. They all asked what I was doing here and why I would be here when the economy was so bad. And I would respond with, believe it or not, but it hasn´t exactly been easy to find a job in the US either. Some people worry that Spain will be the next Greece, having to negotiate an emergency bailout from the EU, but others, like president Zapatero say that the jobless rate has peaked and will now start to decline.

My airport cab driver was on the more optimistic side. He said I shouldn´t go back to the US in a month, but stay here and work. When I said my job finishes in a month and I would have nothing else to do he said I should work as a "taxista" like him- that it is very lucrative and yes there are many women taxistas. I told him I hate driving, he said " tia, eso es un problema pequeñito."

No comments:

Post a Comment