Monday, May 24, 2010

RIP MKC

I was hit with devastating news from home this past Saturday. A good friend of mine from Vanderbilt, Kyle Craig, who was two years younger, passed away.

I know it's true, that it actually happened, but it's just hard to process since it was so unexpected...The Kyle that I knew was a true "surfer dude." He said things like "yea man," "totally," wore Hollister and backwards hats, and always had a smile on his face. He played in a band and loved theme parties. I met him two years ago when he was a freshman and I was a junior. My guy friends introduced him to me as "the man," a kid "we have to get" for the pledge class, the #1 rush.

The first time Kyle came to the Adelicia last year was with a bunch of our friends for our first pool party. The pool was on the 7th floor of our building, and standing in the pool, looking up all you could see was the clear blue sky. It seemed like the highest point in Nashville. He told me it was literally the happiest he had ever been- that it was "heaven" and he never wanted to leave. After that he coined my roommates and I, "The Adelicia Angels." He would text me during the day "Schu, can I come over to heaven today" or towards the Spring time, "when are we kicking off the season in heaven?" The picture above is from that very first day at our pool, Kyle is smiling in his sunglasses, with a fluorescent bathing suit in the middle.

He was down to earth, fun loving, compassionate and had a lot going for him. It has been hard to grasp what has happened, especially being far away, removed from the situation and unable to talk to my other friends in person. I'll miss you Kyle, I don't know when this will actually start to feel real. May you rest in peace.

"Every parting is a form of death, as every reunion is a type of heaven" - Tryon Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment