Monday, May 3, 2010

Madrid vs. Barcelona

Before this past weekend with my mom I had been to Barcelona twice. Once with my dad when I was about 9 years old on a 17 day euro trip that was 17 days too long for my attention span. The second one was 2 years ago while I was studying abroad and went to visit CB and her motley crew. During this last trip I did not see the light of day so I really consider this past weekend to be my first real (memorable) visit to Barcelona.

So after this first "real" weekend I feel like I need to talk about Madrid vs. Barcelona, and no I am not talking about Real Madrid vs. FC Barcelona. I consider myself to be extremely knowledgable on soccer, excuse me, "football," however I am not a close follower of the Madrid/Barcelona football rivalry. I can enthusiastically recount everything I learned playing this sport competitively for 10 years, but cannot tell you the last time these two teams played each other or who is really better and why. What I can tell you is that in my mind, there is very little competition between the quality of life in these two cities.

After living in Spain for a full 12 months of my life even tho I cannot fully call myself a Spaniard because I lack a !@*&@#%^ EU passport, I have a pretty good idea of what Spanish life is like and the factors that contribute to a quality city. Something that I tend to do when I travel is to imagine if I could live in the city that I am visiting. I know that many people will disagree with my opinion, but here is how I would grade the different cities:

1. Nightlife
There is no doubt that Barcelona has some of the most unbelievable nightlife on the planet (big plus). The DJs are world reknown and the nightclubs blow other clubs out of the water. Pacha and Gabana are two of Madrid´s most fun clubs. There are also great bars/lounges such as Fortuny and Moma, but nothing can beat Shoko, Oshum, Opium and the other clubs in Barcelona. Like honeslty, if you can get Jacomino to play at my 50th birthday party (or even my upcoming one this summer) we will be BFFAE.
Winner: Barcelona

2. Language
Is Catalan real? Spanish is spoken in Barcelona, but the city is part of Catalyuna and Catalan is everywhere. So if you are really interested in learning and practicing Spanish Madrid is a much better option. I´ve also heard from malaguenos that a company will not hire a Spanaird unless he/she speaks Catalan.
Winner: Madrid

3. Weather
Barcelona is on the beach and everyone loves the beach, but it is probably the ugliest beach I´ve ever seen. It makes Malagueta look like a honeymon destination. The Barceloneta is surrounded by ugly buildings, a hospital and no landscape. You can tell they constantly have to add sand to the beach because it´s about 15 feet wide. However, Madrid lacks any body of water whatsoever- aside from the resevoir in Retiro- and during the summer it is blisteringly hot without a sea breeze.
Winner: Barcelona

4. Architecture
Does Barcelona have a style of architecture?? The narrow streets are cute, but that is nothing new in Spain. Due to French influence in Madrid, the architecture in Madrid is a lot like that of Paris. The buildings are gorgeous and classic. Buenisimo.
Winner: Madrid

5. Parks, Monuments and Museums
Barcelona is home to Antonio Gaudi´s abstract wonderland, as well as a Dali museum and Picasso museum. However, nothing can out due Madrid´s Reina Sofia, Prado and Thyssen.
Winner: Madrid

6. Food
When I studided abroad in Madrid I lived with a senora and did not really get to take advantage of the restaurant scene as much as I would have liked to. Luckily I´ve been able to do that this time around on my visits to see Rachael. This past weekend in Barcelona my mom and I ate at incredible tapas bars. While I believe some of the best fish in Spain comes from Andalucia, the restaurants in Barcelona were very authentic and unique.
Winner: Tie

7. People
There were definitely a lot of guapos in Barcelona, but there were just TOO many tourists! Was I there on international-Barcelona-tourism-weekend or something? The place was swarmingggggg with fanny packs, maps and tevas with socks. VOM.
Winner: Madrid

Many malaguenos prefer Barcelona because they think Madrid is overwhelming and too big, and Americans hear the word "beach" and are fishing in their pockets for their credit card, but I cannot put the word out enough about Madrid. Like can I please launch a serious PR campaign for their tourism sector? I was really disappointed to hear that Vanderbilt might have to terminate its study abroad program in Madrid, because every year less and less students want to go there, prefering to spring break style study in Barcelona. Madrid is a majestic, classy city, rich with Spanish culture and flavor and wants you to come visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment