Monday, May 17, 2010

La Despedida

It was definitely a weekend of mixed emotions. As usual I was excited to go to Madrid and stay with Rachael, but there was naturally a feeling of sadness being that it was my last weekend there for a while... I just can't believe how fast it's gone by...

The toughest part was having the last "cena" with Mercedes. We had dinner on Thursday night- delicious salad, tortilla, pizza, and sangria. Yum. We talked about the usual things, teaching, Vanderbilt, the economy, gypsys, and what are plans are for the upcoming months. Her son, Fer, says he definitely wants to come to New York this fall and she sounded like she was on board. I'll need to use my unmatchable persuasion skills to make sure she follows through. She gave Rachael and I a little gift so that we "wouldn't forget" her. To forget her would be to erase the past two years of my life.

Even though I know we'll see each other again and therefore there was no need to be too sad I got unexpectedly emotional towards the end and couldn't help from bursting out into tears. I don't know if she'll ever really know how important she has been to me. She is the most thoughtful, caring, fair and motherly person I've ever met that isn't my own mother. I feel so lucky to have ever been a part of her home. She ended her last email to me like this:

"Ha sido increible verte estos meses, eres una persona muy especial y me alegro de que Vanderbilt os trajera a mi casa a Sarah y a tí, espero que no dejememos nunca de estar en contacto, quiero saber siempre de tu vida, cuando te cases... cuando tengas hijos.... etc, etc.
Te queremos
UN BESO GRANDE"

Naturally I was thinking of ways to extend my Madrid stay- quitting my job and moving there for the next month or so to spend more time with her and everyone else -but if I was able to make this year happen I know I'll find ways to come back again.

Above: Me and Rachael in front of El Mercado de San Miguel
Above: Me, Cristina and Rachael at the Yamba Charity Event
Above: Me, Rachael and Cristina at dinner at Castellana DF

No comments:

Post a Comment